Operated by IMPGT and founded by more than 30 French local authorities, the “Regional Attractiveness & Place Marketing” Chair is the first “regional chair” dedicated to attractiveness and new place marketing practices throughout the world. It has a strong focus on innovation and follows an operational approach of place marketing. Supported by french local authorities, the Chair promotes a holistic vision of attractiveness: from the capacity of local places to "shine" and promote their offers to their ability to attract on-site people (tourists, businessmen, researchers, students, retired, new residents ...) and capital (investors, developers, new entrepreneurs ...)
A CHAIR FOCUSED ON INTERNATIONAL AND OPERATIONAL
By its organization and program, the Chair intends to be a research and sharing place and a service and tools producer to its founders, partners and professionals.
In order to meet their expectations, the Chair is giving into an international approach (speakers and international study cases in the training, simultaneous translation during the Place Marketing Forum, international benchmarking, international publications) and into an operational methodology of attractiveness and place marketing.
It can be noticed throughout its facilitators (who are all professionals with a real management experience), its training program (mainly covered by the persons who set up the approaches or actions - based on concrete examples and experiences' feedback), its international benchmark (online plateform allowing to follow and analyse best practices worlwide) and its yearly convention (exchanges and experiences sharing between international professionals).
WHY THIS CHAIR ?
Three observations are behind the launch of the Chair:
1. Nowadays, regional attractiveness has become a major concern for the local authorities’ future. Taking account of its impact on employment, economy and culture, as well as its inhabitants’ quality of life in general; especially since the authorities’ budgets are being cut and the outcomes of the regional marketing measures which have been implemented have been deemed inadequate by councilors and professional sectors.
2. Throughout the world, a new form of regional marketing is starting to spread. This is a result of the hyper-competition between the regions and recent upheavals in the regional political environment, as well as economic, sociological, climatic, demographic and technological upheavals. These new approaches and practices in attractiveness and regional marketing are changing the role of the citizen and drastically changing the management, governance and current practices of the most successful authorities, which are implementing them.
3. French local authorities have a small knowledge with the world’s best-performing territories practices. There is currently no permanent monitoring of best regional marketing practices across all the various professions and sectors involved in regional attractiveness. Thus, the chair has been created to cross these three challenges and enable the local authorities to develop more effective place marketing strategies.
GOALS AND AMBITION
- Monitor trends and best practices in place marketing around the world
- Improve training and information sharing on the most innovative and effective place marketing
- Encourage the development of new models and operational tools for place marketing for the benefit of territories and companies. We are working on everything that makes it possible, within the framework of a place marketing policy, to strengthen the link between the company and its territory and, on a general level, everything that creates more value by making membership of a territory a real competitive advantage.
Operating as a « think-tank » with its founders, partners, experts and place marketing professionals, the A&NMT Chair aims to become an european leader of information, research and training of innovating place marketing.
4 GREAT PROJECTS
MONITORING AND RESEARCH on the best practices of attractiveness and place marketing, with a focus on the most effective or most innovative strategies in the world, with benchmarking sheets and summaries, available on a web platform. The approach is cross-sector: economic attractiveness, tourism, residential, higher education, major cultural, sporting and business events and international action.
EXPERTISE scientific, in place marketing, to enhance the benchmarking: academic publications, specific research programs on themes proposed by the founders and partners such as: «attractive metropolises», «specific attractiveness», «IMAGETERR: the image of territories».
TRAINING : Master Degree training, non-leading to a qualification training are offered to professionals and students with the participation of experts.
EVENTS : Organization of several meetings on place marketing including the Place Marketing Forum, but also participation of the Chair in scientific conferences and symposiums.